1. Where does my child play at lunchtime?
2. Are they supervised by a teacher that has direct eyesight of my child?
3. Where does my child sit in the classroom?
4. Is my child sitting away from any distractions?
5. Show me the types of activities my child did last week?
6. Were these activities simplified into easy to understand steps?
7. Can you provide me with a term planner or lessons for the week ahead so I can work on similar concepts at home?
If this is not the case. DO NOT become confrontational but rather offer to simplify them at home. If you show you are prepared to help, teachers will feel like you are part of a team instead of an adversary.
Tips for School teachers that teach ADHD students.
- Teachers will often feel like they need to praise a child with ADHD whenever possible as part of their ADHD treatment. This is a great idea…but… At Focused Education we know that handing out praise too often results in problems later in life for children with learning disorders. Children with ADHD or Dyslexia should not be sheltered from the world. They should experience failure as well as success. An even-handed approach with set rewards and consequences should be part of this approach.
- If your child has difficulty remembering what to do in class teach them how to write down on a sticky note or pad what the set task is. Encourage teachers to write a simple sentence on the same pad if your child is not sure what to write themselves.
- Ask teachers to provide positive praise in front of the class and negative feedback quietly… if possible away from other students. We know that if teachers are saying “Oh Johnny! You haven’t done your work again!” in front of your child’s friends they will feel terribly embarrassed. The consequences of this are often classroom misbehaviour or a break down in student/teacher relations.
- You can also contact our team of ADHD specialists. Our experienced clinicians include Educational Psychologists, Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Specialist Teachers.
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD