“Please don’t make me write!”
At Focused Education our special education teachers and occupational therapists often hear “please don’t make me write” from our ASD students. Many children and adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder hate writing with a passion. Many years experiencing academic failure, combined with fine motor difficulties common in Autistic children, often create a strong dislike of writing. Some Autistic kids will also have a Specific Learning Disorder (Dysgraphia).
Why do Autistic Children have Difficulty with Writing?
There are many reasons why kids with ASD dislike handwriting or typing fiction texts or non-fiction texts. Causes of ASD writing difficulties include:
- A Specific Learning Disorder in Writing (Dysgraphia).
- A Specific Learning Disorder in Reading (Dyslexia).
- A diagnosis of a generalised learning difficulty.
- Difficulty processing information and instructions from their classroom teacher.
Autism Services at Focused Education Perth W.A.
Our Special Education Teachers and Occupational Therapists collaborate to provide the following services:
- Strategies for parents to assist their children with writing at home.
- Motor skill development from our Occupational Therapist team.
- Teaching Tips for Classroom teachers of ASD students.
- Modification of handwriting and word processing tools to make them ASD friendly.
- Social Skill groups that use computer games that Autistic kids love to motivate them to type and handwrite. This helps our ASD students to communicate and they appreciate developing friendships with other children and adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD