Some people think of dyslexia as a learning issue that only involves reading. At Focused Education we understand that dyslexia can make a number of tasks difficult. Our specialist team know how to help. We have compiled a list of behaviours and skills that can be affected by Dyslexia.
Generally, Dyslexia affects social interaction and life skills as well as reading.
- “Sound out” and pronounce words while reading.
- Read smoothly, without skipping words, reversing word order and/or losing place.
- Get and stay interested in stories and books.
- Understand written material.
- Understand word problems when learning problem solving tasks during maths activities.
When writing Dyslexia can make it difficult for kids to:
- Master the rules of spelling and grammar.
- Write letters, numbers and symbols in the correct order.
- Proofread written work.
- Express ideas in an organized way.
- Organise and complete written assignments.
- Listen and take notes.
- Interpreting body language and nonverbal cues.
- Making and keep friends.
- Dealing with peer pressure and embarrassment and expressing feelings appropriately.
- “Fit in” with kids the same age.
- Maintaining healthy self-esteem—dyslexia might also cause anxiety or depressed mood.
- Navigation and sense of direction— consequently they may worry about getting lost.
- Spatial concepts like telling left from right.
- Learning and remembering words, phrases, names and directions—they may rely too heavily on rote memory.
- Filtering out background noise.
- Telling time and sticking to a schedule.
If you think your child is having trouble with these skills and behaviours but you aren’t sure, consider talking to your child’s teachers about what’s happening at school. If your child has dyslexia, there are many ways you and the school can help. At Focused Education we strengthen the partnership between schools and Perth families.
We find the combination of specialist advice and support we provide for both Perth parents and teachers can really help. If you are unsure if your child has Dyslexia we have a comprehensive testing service that can help pinpoint the specific type of Dyslexia your child may have.
Focused Education’s Dyslexia Test is Perth families’ choice for Dyslexia testing services because:
- Our expert staff are specialists that really care.
- Focused Education choose to make our assessment service affordable even though we could charge a great deal more.
- We provide comprehensive specialist advice and ongoing support. The founder and owner of Focused Education, Martyn Drysdale is happy to provide advice and support up to 10pm at night. He views our staff and clients as one big extended family.
- We provide specialist Dyslexia tutoring and advice from our qualified, experienced teachers, speech and occupational therapist staff. This support can be provided to both parents, schools and other health professionals involved in your child’s life.
Call us or complete the form below to book an initial consultation so we can discuss how to help your child.
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD