2. Symptoms of Dyslexia.
3. How Dyslexia Tutors can help.
4. Useful information for parents.
The Federal Government have policies for early identification and treatment of Dyslexia. These are contained in the “Dyslexia Working Party Report” and the subsequent “Response to Dyslexia Working Party Report”. It is hoped that a greater awareness of Dyslexia will result in better funding and support for children and adults with Dyslexia. Improvements to the learning environment for dyslexic students will assist all students within a classroom. Students with Dyslexia can achieve excellent results with better support.
2. Symptoms of Dyslexia.
- A noticeable difference between intellectual ability and the reading level of a student.
- An ongoing problem with spelling and phonological awareness (the ability to ‘hear’ sounds in words).
- Difficulty answering comprehension questions when reading.
- Poor working memory (short-term memory).
- Disorganisation and forgetfulness.
- Difficulty understanding teacher instructions and homework expectations.
- Handwriting is slow, poorly constructed and of minimal volume.
- Students often demonstrate a lack of accuracy and speed when reading to a parent.
- Difficulty pronouncing new words.
- A speech and language difficulty as a young child requiring speech therapy.
3. How Focused Tutors can help.
Help for Perth families
- Free phone or email support and advice between tutoring sessions.
- Our families sometimes need crucial, emergency support. A specialist teacher is always available for a chat, 7 days a week 9am-10pm daily.
- Our goal is to help our parents feel empowered, less stressed and in control of both their child’s homework and behaviour.
- We understand that school can be frustrating for a child that learns differently. With the right tutor support Dyslexia, ADHD or Autism can become an advantage rather than a disadvantage.
- Specialist Dyslexia tutoring takes the pressure off. Tutoring your children can be stressful, time-wasting and ineffective.
- Our specialist tutors all have at least five years of teaching experience. It makes sense to let our specialist Dyslexia team help you.
- All our teachers are trained in The Focused Learning Program developed by Martyn Drysdale, the founder of Focused Education. A collection of research-based programs that are well recognised as best practice.
- Our experienced teachers also provide advice that you can implement at home, so over time you won’t need our tutoring services anymore.
Less homework pressure.
- At Perth’s Focused Education we find that the parents of children with Dyslexia, ADHD or Autism complete more homework than the children do. You have one career already. Don’t make ineffective tutoring your second job.
- We advise your school. Teachers often do not realise that providing reading and writing homework limits Dyslexic students’ progress. We provide a free advisory service to our students’ school teacher.
- Our specialist tutoring staff know how to harness your child’s untapped potential which makes homework more achievable.
4. Useful information for parents
1. The Adult Dyslexia Centre.
The U.K. government has established a fantastic Dyslexia resource collection. This excellent resource includes video as well as case studies of adults with Dyslexia.
2. Dyslexia Working Party Report.
The Australian Governments response to the “Dyslexia Working Party Report” is an excellent document. The report is very helpful to parents as it details what their child may require in regards to assistance. Importantly, it details which professionals are recommended for Dyslexia Testing (A specialist speech therapist or psychologist).
3. The Dyslexia Centre for Children.
A great site and organisation that provides support and charity assistance for children with Dyslexia. A great model that Australian Dyslexia Charities should adhere to.
4. Focused Education Support Line.
Our Dyslexia Tutoring Program includes a 24-hour phone or email support line. This provides parents with the advice and support they need to help their dyslexic child.
Call our Free Dyslexia Advice Line on (08) 61887669
or complete the form below:
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD