15% of Perth teenagers with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) will have abused drugs or alcohol in the past year. That’s nearly triple the rate for adults without ADHD(1).
At Perth’s Focused Education we know the risks of drug abuse and how easy it is for a teenager with ADHD to make poor decisions. Our specialist psychologist staff can help your child.
Alcohol and tobacco use in Perth Teenagers with ADHD.
There are a variety of reasons why Perth teens with ADHD may abuse alcohol, tobacco or illicit drugs:
- ADHD(Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is characterised by a reduce ability to ‘stop and think’. This leads to impulsive behaviour like trying drugs for the first time.
- Most people with ADHD have a lower level of ‘the happy chemical’ dopamine. Self medication with alcohol, tobacco or other drugs results in a temporarily higher amount of dopamine.
- Teenagers with ADHD are often ‘people pleasers’. They like other people to like them. This may result in your Perth teenager with ADHD trying drugs to please others.
- Taking risks or doing something considered ‘naughty’ can give a young person with ADHD a rush of adrenalin. This adrenalin then travels to the brain, triggering dopamine.
What to do before your ADHD child starts abusing drugs or alcohol.
- Ensure your child understands what ADHD is and how it affects your thinking, actions and behaviour.
- Get your teenager a mentor. Finding an ADHD coach or mentor in Perth that has ADHD themselves can help your child understand their thought processes, emotions and feelings.
- Ensure that your child’s parents are checked by a medical professional for ADHD themselves if they show symptoms of Attention Deficit Disorder.
- Model positive behaviour, it is proven that parents that don’t drink have teenagers that drink less often.
- Contact professionals that can help.
- If they have a diagnosis of ADHD ensure that they are in contact with the paediatrician, psychologist or psychiatrist that diagnosed them.
- Seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist that specialises in the substance abuse of teenagers with ADHD should help your child.
- Contact Focused Education because our Perth psychologist team specialise in helping teenagers just like yours manage their ADHD and recover from drug or alcohol addiction.
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD