Psychology recognises six types of Anxiety Disorders affecting children.
At Focused Education we understand managing anxiety is important for children and adults affected by ADHD.
1. Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is defined by unwanted feelings, thoughts and impulses (obsessions). This can cause repetitive, routine behaviours (compulsions) as a way of coping with anxiety.
2. Generalized anxiety disorder, or GAD, is the most frequently diagnosed anxiety disorder in Perth.
What is a Phobia? – a permanent, ongoing fear of a particular adult, child, object, activity or place.3. Specific phobia – Generally not harmful – such as fear of flying – Anxious patients understand their fear is irrational but may need to seek psychological support and advice to overcome it.
4. Agoraphobia – This is the fear of specific situations that may be publically embarrassing. A psychologist will only diagnose agoraphobia when a person becomes so anxious that their daily life is disrupted.
5. Social phobia – Children, teenagers and adults with social anxiety disorder becomes anxious that they are being looked down upon in social situations like the school yard or a workplace. This type of disorder is often diagnosed by psychologists treating children and adults with ADHD, Dyslexia or Autism.
6. Panic Disorder – The most diagnosed symptom of panic disorder is the panic attack, a dominant highly emotional feeling physical and psychological distress or anxiety. Autistic children often experience a panic attack.
7. Post-traumatic stress disorder – children, teenagers and adults with ADHD can become anxious as a result of trauma, such as war, child abuse, vehicle accident or domestic violence usually feeling high levels of anxiety after the psychologically traumatic event.
We help parents and children with anxiety and anxious feelings and thoughts.
Our Perth based psychological services include:
- Comprehensive psychological and cognitive assessments.
- Autism Assessment.
- Autism Diagnosis.
- ADHD testing and ADHD diagnosis.
- ADHD treatment.
- Dyslexia Testing and Tutoring.
- Individual child therapy.
- Behaviour management plans.
- Behaviour escalation profiles.
- Parent Counselling.
- Family Counselling.
- Coaching and support.
- Specialist Holiday Programs for children.
- Group parenting workshops.
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD