Dyslexia is defined as a disorder hosted in the neurological language processing area of the brain. It affects reading and spelling fluency despite intelligence levels. It affects comprehension, decoding, and processing speed.
Symptoms and Difficulties:
- Reading and recognizing words.
- Slow verbal processing speed and issues with verbal memory.
- Short term memory loss.
- Low Concentration.
- Poor organization levels.
- Difficulty in understanding on many levels: phonology of words & following direction.
Speech Therapy and Treatments:
Speech therapy combined with specialised tutoring is the main form of treatment for Dyslexia. The goal of the speech therapy is to delete neurological reflexes that prevent reading and spelling fluency and increase the communication between the visual and verbal areas of the brain. Expert tutoring support should be provided by qualified teachers that are Dyslexia specialists working in a multidisciplinary team in conjunction with speech therapy support. This process can help with the following:
- Improving spelling and reading.
- Increasing verbal memory and processing.
- Increasing organization and concentration levels.
- Understanding of verbal concepts and other auditory processing.
- Increased levels of confidence at school and in social situations.
CONTACT US TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN HELP YOUR CHILD